Thursday, November 08, 2007

Weapon Of Choice

I actually didn't want to blog this out cos it may seem to boring to be a topic and I didn't really want to talk about it till I made my choice but it's turning out to be a very hard decision. Who knows, typing it all out may help.

On Tuesday, at 10am, I have to go and choose my specialization diploma. It's between Business (BUS), Logistics & Operations Management (LOM) and Marketing (MKT). At first, it was a straight fight between BUS and MKT but recently, I've was part of a brainwashing attempt by my tutor about LOM. Yeah, I heard pretty good things about LOM.

Business is a popular choice cos a lot of students don't know what to choose yet and they are unsure what to specialize in so they take the general choice.I have pretty much the same logic. Going into Business would be pretty much doing the same thing I've been doing for the past 3 years, ITE included.Job prospects are good pretty easy to find but there will be a lot of competition, not just from my diploma; which has the biggest intake of the 3 diplomas but also from other polys. A Bus diploma is a pretty common one.

MKT is, erm, I guess of a much more creative vein. I'll have to learn to not only speak well but to speak convincingly. Creativity is also needed. As for job prospects, will be a little tricky. Things will be mundane when I start out cos I'll probably have to do all the routine jobs first. Things will get hectic and exciting after a while cos I imagine to be all conceptualization and projects and deadlines and stuff like that.

LOM...I think in terms of academics is one that I'm least interested in, meaning I don't think I'll like studying it's specialized stuff as compared to MKT or BUS' general-ish modules. Okay, I don't know whether I'm being too pessimistic or I'm just being honest.Maybe the modules do suck or maybe I can cope with them anyway.

Job future in LOM, sounds the best out of the 3, or maybe that's cos it the most recent one I heard. But apparently, this industry is on the rise, going to be backed by the government and largely less by economic ups and downs as compared to the other 2 diplomas. Cos logistics is always gonna be needed. BUS and MKT, a lot more prone to the effects of recession.

It shouldn't matter right? Cos I'm aiming to do Political Science as a degree right? But the thing is, I've still got NS to do after poly and I'm not sure I'll be doing a degree straight away cos of the money and I'll have to work for a year or two to get experience and a bit of that cash money,for sure.

So, might as well be an industry I can see myself working in. But I have to be interested in studying in it in the first place. Cos if I don't like it, I might not do well.

Academic INTEREST
1. Business
2. Marketing
3. Logistics

Employment INTEREST
1. Marketing
2.Business
3.Logistics

Employment PROSPECT
1. Logistics
2. Marketing
3. Business

So there, I've tried to rank it. For the 3rd one, at least that's what I think my chances are getting a job with that particular diploma.

So,if I were to average it out, Marketing edges it ahead of Business.

So, I'm back to where I started. =|

Now it begs the question. Do I want to take the risk with Marketing? Or do I wanna play it safe with Business, something I've been doing for the past 3 years? Yeah, I've taken Marketing before as a module in ITE and did well too but this is a whole different ball game cos it'll be more in depth, as it should be since it's diploma level stuff.

At least I hope I've gotten Logistics out of the way. I've come to the conclusion that it's great but it isn't me. It may have good prospects but again, it just isn't me. I just don't see myself firstly, studying, and then working in the logistics industry as great as it's gonna be in the future.

I hope I don't change my mind over Logistics.

I'll keep mulling over Business and Marketing.

A whole post talking about 3 diplomas? Now, after doing it, I don't see why not cos after all, I'll be doing this thing for the next 2 years. The least I can do is try to seriously weigh up my options.

It wouldn't be so difficult if I was in Media Studies, it would be the Journalism line for me no doubt but that's a really old story. I didn't get in so that's the end of that.

Lets hope I have a clearer picture by Tuesday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home