Friday, September 21, 2007

Let's All Talk About Writing

Today was a bit of all right.

Had the book launch today at the Bishan auditorium. A compilation of 20 stories taken from the 'Inspirations' competition that I entered in the past.

Came a lil bit late.Just by a few minutes, so it wasn't too bad.But Habib and Wahida were with me so,at least I didn't get embarrassed just by myself.

I know she rushed it but given the lack of time that she had, she did a pretty great job putting things together.

It turned out to be pretty well -done and I was quite hesitant about speaking to the crowd that was there at the auditorium cos I felt that my sharing session couldn't match up to those that preceded mine cos they were about stuff that was inspirational, with hardship and all.

I was supposed to talk about my writing interest and how I developed it.I think I did all right in the end.I wanted to talk more but somehow I went a little too far and I couldn't go back to the point that I wanted to.Tried to put in a an anecdote about how I used to get scolded for reading while having dinner and now that I've stopped that,I've resorted to reading the nutritional labels on the foodcans just so I wouldn't be bored while eating in the kitchen.

It didn't go as bad as I expected cos I really didn't prepare.I had a rough idea of what I was gonna talk about and just winged it from there.My eye contact could have been better though.

It was a nice and simple ceremony.Not too much hoopla and I think I liked it that way.

My CCA chairperson was so excited to see her crush there and he was performing a rap with another mate of his. Lol. All 3 of their stories were included in the book as well,by the way.

Thank God,my speech came after their performance and not following the really inspiring speakers that had come before,cos the people were in more of a relaxed mood and the atmosphere wasn't so serious.

Have to thank Wahida and Habib for forming my own cheering section.Trust those two to always make noise,lol. Like others later told me,it was like I had my own fans. Much appreciated guys.

Thought that the song during the presentation ceremony was a LITTLE BIT wrong, cos it was Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up'. Ummm...

But I don't think that the C.Central principal and the directors,including, apparently, the #3 dude in ITE (no idea what his name is), caught it. Well,I hope they didn't...

I'm not gonna sit here and type as if I know anything about rap but I do think that I listen to enough of it to have the opinion that rap is another fascinating outlet of writing and it's not just about rhyming.It's gotta have flow and most times tell a story.A good rap song has brilliant wordplay.

I was trying to listen to the words during the rap performance.Though I couldn't catch it all,I liked what I did hear and I knew that they were telling a story.

While they were talking to Mdm Salinah,I had to give the rappers props for what they did, for their style of writing cos it wasn't easy. Mdm Salinah was saying that she never really thought about it because it is hard to understand rap lyrics if you're not used to the lingo. But she did agree it was a form of great writing.

After that,the writers had a bit of fun getting each other's autograph. Lol. Some parents and teachers were there and they asked for our respective autographs too. It was kind of fun.I mean, I took it all in and went with the flow and it's not as if my ego was boosted or anything. Like, we just did it cos it was fun.

We all had to sign another 20 books that were going out somewhere but we were never told where exactly. Whatever, it's cool anyway.

Yeah, so...today was really a bit of all right.

Omg, being in ITE and MIC has really got me places and got me doing different things.

Acting,scripting,producing and writing.For some,maybe not the whole things but definitely parts of it cos I was part of a team,afterall.

But yeah,I sure did a lot of fun things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home