Saturday, September 01, 2007

Drama Kings & Queens Come Out To Play & We Keepin' It Fresh

I really wanted to post one on Friday night as it was the most appropriate time to do so,to ride on the day's moment.

It's all about them.They did it.Simply because they could.

The is a recounting of what happened on T'Day '07...

I'll start from the beginning.I woke up at 4am.Was down at Bishan by 630.All the cast were already present along with all those in-charge minus one person.Must note that this was an unprecedented occurrence for Mic Studio in recent history.The cast coming on time,or early,even must be commended by itself.

But,we couldn't go in till about 645 cos the maintenance guy came late to disarm the system.We couldn't open the door as we didn't wanna trip the alarm.

Then,the goddamn A/C wasn't working and we had to go gets fans from the top-floor classrooms.It was hot inside.I fiddled with the buttons and the A/C 'on switch before some cool air came out at around 715.It didn't end there..the bloody A/C then started leaking and we had to put empty biscuit tins to catch the drips.

By then,the make up process was well underway...

We all got our new MIC Studio polo tees.I like the green.One of my favourite colours,just hope it doesn't fade out too bad.

The T'Day event,organised by the student councillors (SC) went waaay ahead of schedule.We even had to abandon our pre-event pep talk midway and make a mad dash down from our backstage room.I was one of the last to leave.In that mad frenzy,I realised that,apparently no one had remembered to lock up the room.So I went back in to lock up the room,with all the stuff and valuables inside.

The skit itself went off without a hitch,save for a moment where,a newbie Amir,inexplicably fell from the chair that he was supposed to stand on.But he was a quick thinker and turned a moment of misfortune into one of comedy,smiling and waving at the crowd whilst still on the floor.

Did I say that our skit went off without a hitch? Actually...it went waaay better.It was almost faultless.If I could say it was perfect,I would,but nothing is.

I love the opening sequence.It was oh-so-whimsically grand.

The Bishan student crowd has a short attention span.But we managed to keep them intrigued throughout the whole 18mins.

We really had a fresh concept this year.Probably never been done before.That's why they were so 'captured'.We brought our A-game right from the start from the beginning,from the concept to the planning,to the process and the performance.

I've taken a backseat during the process stage.But I'm kinda awfully proud of the newbies who have had no previous acting background before,even though they may not see it from me.

We had a debrief with all of us sitting in a circle back in the room. To quote Justin Timberlake, "what happens inside the circle,stays inside the circle".There was a general feeling of satisfaction and a pinch of disbelief that it went so well and it was over.

It may seem that I'm trumpeting and creating a lot of hoopla but I'm giving credit where credit's due.

Habib- Overall in charge who first came to me with such a crazy concept.Can't believe we pulled it off in the end.

Wahida - my dear friend who once again,taught the actors how best to act and brought out the best in the newbies.

AishaZ-who could always be depended on to get the draggy logistics done.How she bears with it I don't know.

Sofia- Mic Studio's exco in charge who I honestly think showed her mettle and gained respect from the newbies for the way conducted herself.

Idy- Another exco in charge.She had her struggles in the beginning but really showed that she could be professional towards the end and did splendidly.

The multimedia guys-Qader & Haiqel - without who we would not have the ability to bring something different the year.

The backstage girls-whose makeup skills allowed us to make a grand visual effect this year.

I'm not gonna go on about what I did cos I don't think it's important anyway.Fret not,it's not a matter of low self-esteem.Last time I checked it was just fine.I

The cast.

They listened,the learned.They also moaned and complained.It's natural.We stay back late, more times in the year than any other CCA.

But they will soon learn.When the leave the school,it's the memories of staying back late, being really tired but really having fun that will make them miss MIC Studio. It's probably why a few of the oldies and I still come back.Do you think I would come back to help if I didn't like it at MIC?

I know they're not aware but I really like what the cast did on T'Day.It was all them and us and we gave the teacher a rest this time round.A student run project...

About the cast,the best description I can come up with when it comes to them is...'beaming with pride'.

Truly.

Mdm Salinah,the teacher in charge,told us that she was receiving accolades left,right and center for all our work.The College Central Principal,Directors all saw us and loved it.

We were so good that they asked us for an encore performance at the Macpherson campus on the same day! That has never happened before either.It was up to the cast and they were game for it.Due to extenuating circumstances one cast member had to drop out but the role was easily filled by Sofia.

So we had to do it all over again,with a few minor changes due to a smaller stage.Did it and we received plaudits from the management and the directorate of ITE.We've done it before and I have to say,the good thing about performing for the suits is that we always get the good food after the show.

So,this is our first real event done as Student Advisors,if you want to label us that,I'd like to thank Mdm Salinah for trusting us implicitly to go ahead and do this.

To the rest of MIC,lets use this to keep the momentum going.We may be facing an uncertain future guys but if we stick together we can make it.You know what I'm talking about guys.

And we know that there are factions of the school that dislike the fact that MIC receives so much attention.These people don't even know half the effort that goes into producing a skit. Thank you for your discrimination cos that's part of what keeps us going.

Having said that,I honestly think that our biggest adversaries are ourselves,the people in MIC Studio.

For the last time,I'm awfully proud of the newbies,even if they don't see it from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home