Thursday, December 01, 2005

George Best 1946-2005

Dang,I woke up 20 minutes late for the Man Utd game early this morning and missed 2 goals from Ronaldo and Saha.Shoulda waited for me I feel...naah,just the fact that they scored 2 early ones put them in good nick for the rest of the game.Too bad I missed them.Johnny O'Shea got the 3rd.Thats's 2 goals in 2 games now for him.Good lad.Especially after the defender was singled out by Keane for critisism.

I would like to stop here to wish Roy Keane all the best to all his future footballing endevours and express my gratitude for all his 12 or so seasons of service,which was of an immense standard.Arguably the best player to ever don the Red Devils' jersey,its all good memories about the great leader.

Now that Captain Marvel 2(Bryan Robson was first) has left the club with such shocking hastiness,we need to find a replacement for his position and another replacement as leader of the team.In terms of captaincy,I would pick Gary Neville as captain because he's been at the club so long and has everyone respects him greatly.I'm not dimissing the possibility of Ruud van Nistelrooy as captain I just feel the kind of respect Gary gets is somehow,different.He's grown up with the club,he''s been there all his life and on the pitch he is a consistent performer.I will no doubt raise the ire of those from the Ruud-for-captain camp but be assured that I bear no ill will towards the high-scring Dutchman or the fact that he can become captain.Its just for now in terms of leadership,Gary Neville would be my choice.

Club legend Gerorge Best has passed on .To me he's almost a myth because I wasn't around when he played.I managed to pick up an autobiography of his a few years back and thinking about it now,I was struck by how unassuming and candid he was personally.He may have presented himself differently to the public eye but he was different away from it.Sure,he had a drinking problem but he wasn't a low-life of any sort.He just got on with whatever hard knocks life gave him.That showed on the football pitch,especially against Leeds,led by Norman Hunter,a team full of vicious players who tried to kcik him out of the game.The calm way that he dealt with them surprised me.Many lesser beings would have crumpled up in the face of such calculated violence.George Best not only took them on but beat them,showing that he never was intimidated.Not by his opponents and seemingly not by life either.

George Best.1946-2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home