Monday, January 14, 2008

An Insomniac's Mind In Random Mode

I know it's late and I'm supposed to be getting ready for school tomorrow but I'm here instead so there, let it be the end of that.

I can't really get to sleep.

A thought crossed my mind lately. But it's only for those interested in Hollywood biopics on drug lords.

As it is, my mates and I are rather interested.

As you all know,American Gangster is currently showing in local cinemas but I caught in early November '06, thanks to an Internet leak.To me, it was a good movie but it wasn't great, like we had expected it to be.

Denzel Washington plays Frank Lucas, a 1970's Harlem drug kingpin named Frank Lucas. I also watched the movie, cos my favourite rapper, T.I. was playing Frank's nephew. T.I. gets shot in the back while running from the feds when they raid the house.

In 2001, the ever-versatile Johnny Depp, played George Jung another drug kingpin.

And slated for release in 2009, "Killing Pablo" will be showing us the life of Pablo Escobar, a Colombian drug lord who became so rich that in 1989, Forbes magazine listed him as the 7th richest man in the world.Javier Bardem is currently lined up to play the man himself.

I think that Pablo Escobar has a much more interesting story than the other 2. But it all depends on how the movie portrays him.

The thing about American Gangster that I didn't like was the fact that Frank Lucas was always in control of the situation. He always seemed too cool,even after he got arrested and charged and I find that hard to believe.At least they showed George Jung's vulnerability when he got screwed. I can't wait for 2009 to see how Killing Pablo will come out.

If you're wondering why I'm speaking at great lengths about this, it's just cos that's what my mates and I do talk about sometimes. We like to talk about movies, some well-known and some not that mainstream and sometimes we talk about the stories behind these movies.

That, and also getting irritated but yet dancing along to Soulja Boy. That song has an irritating addictiveness to it.The dance isn't too difficult so it makes it lots of fun.

Speaking of movies, I'm hoping Denzel won't get the Best Actor nod at the Golden Globes. Not because I don't like him, cos I think he's brilliant. I just don't think his performance in A. Gangster merits one, unlike Training Day. Also, just to spite and taunt a mate who, thanks to his obsessive fanaticism about Denzel, I knew way too much about A. Gangster and way earlier than I needed to.

A trend amongst us, is that we've been slacking less and less, which is good I think cos it means we're wasting less of our own times and we get to do other stuff. Even when we do, it's loads more fun. A decrease in quantity has led to an increase in quality. We're meeting at different places now instead of the usual place, which makes it more fun.

See ya geezers at Starbucks at Sengkang eh?

I might be heading over to Xplosion @ Ngee Ann Poly Open House next Sat.11am-6pm. Lots of good local acts playing.Looking for tag-alongers. I wonder if me mates are interested.That night, United are playing so it will give me something to look forward to when I go home.

Lots of people don't really support local indie acts cos they're not as polished as the overseas ones that they see on TV but I think I'm beginning to see that sometimes, being raw and unpolished is good too.I mean I always knew good local acts were around in the underground, I've heard em. Just never really been bothered to follow them like I am now.

Oh, to cap things off, you know how American rappers always never fail to be representing their 'hood' or region? You got Snoop Dogg for the LBC West Coast, Fat Joe for the Bronx in NYC, Nelly for St. Louis and T.I.(undisputed King of the South, I do believe) and all that. All of us talked and we realized how ridiculously hilarious it would be if we Singaporeans had a great hiphop scene and tried to represent like their American counterparts.

It would be fine if they stayed in Jurong or Tampines cos that would be the West Side and the East Side.But in Singapore, we have the North East line and a rapper coming from Hougang would sound dumb shouting "North-East, where you at?" and then proceeding trying to do an "NorthEast sign.He would need both hands.Could you imagine a local trying to say that in hip-hop slang? It would totally ruin his image man.

Oohh, maybe we could be H-Town. Just like how Atlanta is A-Town?

Gosh,I'm cracking up just thinking about it. Maybe you find it stupid. Maybe it is. But it's these stupid things that crack me up sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home