Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In Memoriam, I Hold Those Dear Closer, I Celebrate With A Life Unwasted

A sobering day.

The big news for everyone who cared today was Heath Ledger, dead at 28. While certainly not of James Dean-esque proportions, certainly close to River Phoenix's. Both of whom also died young. The iconic Dean passed having only released 3 major movies. Yet his name still remains synonymous with the (in)glorious nature that befall those who die young and famous.

I remember watching A Knight's Tale almost 10 times because AXN and HBO had it in rotation for loads of times.

When I heard it, it was a bit shocking cos I was just bored the night before and decided to look through movie trailers and one of them was 'The Dark Knight' in which Heath plays The Joker. I remember thinking that he seemed a bit 'iffy' in that role and I couldn't wait to see how he really did in the movie. And now, barely 24 hours after I watched the trailer, he's gone.

If that was sobering, then the next piece of news is truly worrying.

Grandma had a fall in the toilet. Hurt her hip, she can't sit up without it hurting. My cuz who stays there was at home to help her up and call an ambulance.

Thank God that the X-rays found no fracture.

Still, being at her age, her bones are brittle and it's maddeningly worrying.

But she's all right. My sis and I went there and we were there with the one relative's family, to just visit and be around. I suppose the other relatives will be making their way there.

I don't know how lame or vulnerable this makes me sound but if you must know, this grandmother was the one who raised me while my mother went to work.

I always had this idea in my head that she would be there when I got married...no...wait...IF I get married.

Okay, IF I got married, I'd always thought she'd be there. Why? For the simple reason that she'd be there to see the face of the girl that was insane enough to take a chance on me.

And also, it'll be sorta right.You know, a full circle kind of thing. From boy to man, that kind of thing.

I hope she'll get up and about sooner rather than later. Though not too soon that she doesn't recuperate sufficiently.

I was in a bookstore for less than 5 minutes today. I saw at least four books I wanted to read.

You know if I was rich, this kind of thing would be one of my little indulgences. I mean, if one was rich enough to buy cars, one wouldn't be out buying a new one every single day right?

I'd buy all the books I want to read, the original CDs of bands I want to listen to (which would stop the pilfering of music) and watch all the plays and gigs that I want to.

Fulfilling my resolution would be a cinch then.

Oh speaking of my resolution, the Mosaic Music Festival is on from the 7th to 16th of March. The only highlights for me so far are Great Spy Experiment on the 9th of March from 9-9.45pm, located at The Living Room @ The Concourse.

My cuz is also performing from 5-5.30pm on the same day at the Singapore Art Cafe.And then again on the 11th of March at the Nokia Powerhouse from 7.30 to 8.15 and then from 10-10.45pm.

So those are a couple of things that will fill up my itinerary in March. Plus, maybe a few jazz shows? More in hope though. Anyone a fan of Harry Connick Jr.? Or at least wanna go see him play?

Oh no, I also so wanna save up for the Queen-inspired musical 'We Will Rock You'. The interesting storyline helps pique my interest.

See, many ways for me to fill up my artistically-curious mind.

If only I could go for them all. Those that I want to anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home