Tuesday, January 15, 2008

An Afternoon Pause

I don't know why I've been so blog-happy these past few days.

I think that boredom has to shoulder some of the blame. But I can't discredit the fact that I've wanted to blog out my thoughts at the moment and not find it a chore.

I was just telling my mate about the benefits of technology on an inter-personal level.

I was just thinking about the past. Our grand-dads, when the liked a certain girl(factoring out arranged marriages), had no choice but to do it face to face. Sure, maybe they would get their friends to chat up the girl for a bit but they were gonna have to face the girl if they wanted to find out about her.

These days? No such thing. Well, there is, but there are also numerous options the interested party can undertake in his quest to gain knowledge about the girl.

I've lost count of the number of times a friend has told me they got to know someone online.

So when a guy sees a girl he likes, he could Google her (sounds so wrong on some levels, don't it?)

'hey yeah, just go ahead and Google her'. Google...haha.

Yeah, from there, he could see what social network she was on. FBook, Fster, Myspace and of course, her blog. He could get to know loads about her without actually saying a single word to her and she won't even know he exists.

The next step would be then to make contact from there through any IM service, Windows Live being the most common round these parts and then that's where things start.

It's almost stalker-ish. But everybody's done it on some level. Technology has allowed us to know and meet people that we would not have possibly known existed under traditional (outdated) norms during the times of our grandparents.

Our grand-dads couldn't do that. If he wanted to talk to someone who lived 3 towns away he would probably walk or take the bus to that town and that doesn't even take into consideration he has to gather up the courage to initiate and continue decent conversation without falling to pieces in a jittery mess.

The veil of technology saves us modern brats all that trouble.

That concludes my recently-constructed, ill-informed opinion expressed in this post.

I didn't go school today. Wanted to finish a glut of uncompleted assignments and projects.

I must have been away on the day God was passing out good time management skills. =|

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home