Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Corporate Newbie

Right.

I've never worked before. Not even as a temp. That's just something about me. It's not that I'm rich in a way that I've never had to worry about working. Yes, my mom is a single working mother and I've got much respect for that. Our household gets by but we do allow ourselves little indulgences. I think we can manage it cos we're only extravagant on occasion and don't really tests the limits of our dollars.That's why I've never had to work. We're not poor, not rich but we do get by quite okay, like a lot of other people.

So, me talking about work may get others rolling their eyes and saying that they've been through worse many more times than me. Well, this is my experience and I'm talking about it. So there.

So, this past 6 days have been something of a first for me. What's I'm doing, I was told, isn't exactly entry level admin work. But, it's more like the not-so-nice tasks involved in a marketing campaign. Making nametags, typing out and pasting mailing labels, collating invitation packages.

They staff say that they work as a team. As a team, everybody does everything in a project. From the actual event to the mundane stuff like I'm doing.

For the past 6 days,I've been taking care of 180+ of these packages and it's easy but hard because of the sheer number of packages involved. I am, on my own for the whole thing for the most of it from start to finish. It's not difficult tasks but can get tiresome. I mean, I think it would be a lot more easier and less pressurising if there were two people doing it instead of it being just me.

Tomorrow's the last day. Which is kind of a relief. It's been a real eye-opener. But hey, it's hard to envision doing it every day if I come in at 9am and leave at 6pm, working continuously, leaving the room only to go pee or print something. Not much skill variety involved.

And today takes the cake.

In on of my years at Montfort, in one the classrooms, there was a kind of motivational poster, the kind you see at popular and it said, 'don't put off for tomorrow what you can do it today'. Something like that. I'd never thought I'd ever experience that or go through that cos at that time, I thought I'd was lame.

I left the office at 9pm, 3 hours after the time I'm supposed to go home.There were some last minute changes I had to do because of some updated list or something like that. I usually would have thought that I could do that tomorrow but this time I thought 'if I put this off for tomorrow, then I will have more work to come to the next morning and that won't be nice. still having so much to do. So I stayed back and finished up what I was supposed to. Tomorrow. I have another set of tasks and it would have an absolute downer if I had to go and finish backdated tasks before I could move on.

By 9pm, the staff were really insistent that I should bugger off and stop making them feel bad. Haha.

Are they paying me for the extra hours? I stayed back an hour last night as well. I don't know if they are. It would be nice but first and foremost I'm doing it to save my own ass. It is for my own benefit, if I didn't finish it, I'd have more to do the next day. I might as well finish it while I can instead of having it hang over me through the night, right?

It also helped that today was Tuesday and there was nothing good on TV that I would miss.

Except for now, it's not really TV but, now that I'm home, I can go catch the 3rd episode of Prison Break online. As I'm typing, I'm letting it load so that I can watch it without any buffering interruptions later on.

=)

On a random note,today, I broke fast with a tall-sized Caramel Hot Chocolate and Chewy Chocolate 'something-something' from Starbucks.

Cocoa overload.

United playing tonight in Champions League. They have this irritating tendency to play poorly or play out a boring game whenever I or others as well, expect an exciting game and get all psyched up. It's fine if I'm not doing anything the next day but it's damn annoying when you have school, work or even worse, an important test or something the next day.

I remember a year or two ago, when they had this game against a Czech team, Sparta Prague, I was all psyched about it, I went to 7-11 and stocked up on junk food and waited through the pre-match mumble at 2. It turned out to be the most mind-numbingly boring 0-0 draw game I had ever watched in recent history.

Doesn't anyone else I know watch Entourage? I'm looking for online posts of the episodes so I can watch ahead. Then again, it won't make Monday night so nice for me cos I always look forward to it 11pm on HBO.

If anyone does happen to watch it or turn to it when flipping channels, look out for the brunette, Emmanuelle Chriqui (pronounced 'shreeky') who I think is so delectably cuteeeeee! Check her out here on IMDB.com.

And bloody hell, the All-Blacks are bloody demons on the rugby field. It'll take quite a team to stop them this time round at World Cup.

Right, I have nothing else for and will scoot off somewhere else. Till next time then eh, lads?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home